Monday, December 30, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls

This may be the true meaning of decadence.  Cinnamon Rolls have always been one of my favorites, but I certainly want the inside ones that are gooey all the way around!  My exciting news on the cooking front this holiday season is that I was able to purchase a Kitchen Aid mixer.  I have wanted one for a while, and finally with sales, rebates, coupons and found money... let's just say I got a deal that couldn't be beat!  The morning after I came home with my mixer, my husband let me know on his way out the door, that I had better make something with that new mixer.  I know how to follow orders!  I decided to make these cinnamon rolls.  It's an interesting recipe, because it starts with a cake mix.  This is one of those recipes that I have had for so long, that I have no idea where it came from.  After making a few adjustments, this will be a   Low  Sugar  recipe as we will need to use some brown sugar.


  • 2 1/2 c. warm water
  • 2 pkgs. yeast
  • 1 sugar-free yellow cake mix
  • 4 1/2 c. flour
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
  • Splenda Blend brown sugar
  • cinnamon
  • raisins (optional)
  • chopped nuts  (optional)
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1/2 c. Splenda
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Remember, I was wanting to try out my new mixer, so I just did this in my mixing bowl and put the dough hook on.  If you don't have this option, any mixing bowl is fine.

 Add the cake mix and flour, then knead.  Let dough rise in a warm place until double.
 Roll dough out on a floured board or counter into a 1/4" thick rectangle.  Spread with a layer of the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.  For all of these filling ingredients, there are no set amounts; just decide how gooey you want your cinnamon rolls and how well you like the other ingredients and judge the amounts accordingly.  Next top with the Splenda blend brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts & raisins if you like them.  Roll up the dough, beginning at the wide side.  Seal well by pinching the edge of the dough into roll.
 Cut into slices about 1 or 1 1/2 inches thick.  Place into a buttered baking dish.  You will want to space them apart a little to give them some room to rise.  I had enough rolls for a 9 x 13 pan, as well as a round cake pan.
Let them rise a second time in a warm place; approximately 1 hour.
Bake at 345 degrees for 20-22 minutes.
You can stop here, but....
 I thought maybe a little icing was in order.  Put one 8 oz package of cream cheese in a mixing bowl and whip it until light and fluffy.  Add 1/2 c. Splenda and mix well, just to give it a little sweetness.
 Spread a little bit of the icing on each roll while they are still warm.  This will allow the icing to melt a little and ooze down in between the layers.
Mmmm, ... mmmm, ... good!

No comments:

Post a Comment