Saturday, December 28, 2013

Peanut Butter Balls

As I was making all of my Christmas goodies, the Oreo balls came out so well, that I started thinking about Peanut Butter Balls.  In the past, I have made them with Nutter Butter sandwich cookies, but since I haven't found those in a sugar-free format as of yet...(we can always hold out that some day they will arrive on the scene)...I needed to try and figure out how I could come up with that.
I looked through the sugar-free cookie section at the store and found some vanilla sandwich cookies.  I started thinking that maybe peanut butter and cream cheese are "approximately" the same consistency, so here is what I came up with:

  • 2 packages of sugar-free vanilla sandwich cookies  (in a regular recipe of Oreo cookie balls you use an entire package of Oreos - or 32 cookies; the vanilla cookies I bought came about 18 or 20 to a package and were just slightly smaller in size, so I used two packages; I might have eaten a couple of cookies from the package)
  • 3/4 package (6 ounces) of reduced-fat cream cheese; softened
  • 1 large scoop (you are looking to equate the other two ounces of the cream cheese) 
  • 1 package of sugar-free chocolate chips
  • 1/4 stick of paraffin; shaved
Start by adding your cookies to your food processor.  Pulse until your cookies become fine crumbs.



 Add the softened cream cheese in small chunks, and add your large scoop of peanut butter.  I just used regular peanut butter, which has a small amount of sugar.  If you would like to make this a completely sugar free  recipe, you could use an all natural peanut butter.
Pulse as you start and then turn on a medium low speed and allow to work until mixture turns in a dough.

You may have to work it just a little with your hands if you find some pieces of cream cheese have not completely mixed in.
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and put into the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
Follow the steps for making out and dipping the balls in chocolate from my Oreo Balls recipe.

I got lots of compliments on these at this year's Christmas Eve party.  If you don't tell them, no one will ever know they are a Low Sugar recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment