Monday, March 10, 2014

Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

There is not a single word in that name that doesn't excite me!  My never-ending sweet tooth jumps for joy at the thought of combining chocolate and peanut butter.  This recipe comes from the Facebook Group:  High Protein Foods.  So that makes me feel even better!  High Protein...  that has to be good for me.

This recipe does have a couple of ingredients that I don't regularly keep in my pantry, so I did have to plan ahead  and be sure that I had all of the ingredients.

  • 1 c. peanut butter
  • 2/3 c. honey
  • 1/2 c. coconut oil
  • 2 c. old fashioned oats
  • 1 1/4 c. (8 oz.) sugar-free chocolate chips
  • 3/4 c. reduced-sugar, dried cranberries 
This was a super simple recipe to make.  You can reduce the sugar in this  Low Sugar  recipe a little more if you chose to use a non-processed peanut butter.  Of course, there are obviously natural sugars in the honey and the cranberries.



 Start with a medium saucepan on medium heat.  Add the peanut butter, honey and coconut oil.  This was the first time that I had worked with coconut oil.  So I was surprised when I opened the container and found out that it was not a liquid.  Wonder why they don't call it coconut shortening??
Heat these three ingredients  and stir occasionally until melted together.
 Meanwhile measure out the remaining 3 ingredients.  I found out that 1 1/4 c. of the sugar-free chocolate chips were exactly the 8 oz. bag.
Once the first 3 ingredients have become completely smooth, remove the pan from the heat and stir in your last ingredients.  Stir until the chocolate is completely melted.















Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 pan and spread out into an even layer.  Put the pan into the fridge for an hour or so until the chocolate is set up.  This will make it much easier to cut into squares.
That is not to say that you can't sneek a bit with a spoon if you just can't wait.
Once you have cut into squares, these need to be stored in the refrigerator to maintain their firmness.
This would be a great snack for your lunch box!

No comments:

Post a Comment