Sunday, March 23, 2014

Cocoa Cream Pie

My mom makes a great cream pie.  I remember eating warm coconut cream pie as a kid... amazing!  My husband is always talking about the cream pies that his grandma Rebecca used to make.  I wish I would have been able to try them.  I guess that cream pies are just something that I have never tackled for fear that they wouldn't come out.  I have always just taken the instant pudding mix way out and made non-cook pies that way, and they are good... just not amazing.

As with so many of my new recipes, this one came across my Facebook Feed, from someone named Andrea Green in Love Yourself Healthy:  Granny's Cocoa Cream Pie    So I thought I would give it a try.  It came out pretty good if I do say so myself, although I am not sure I will put it in the amazing category yet...  maybe I need to "practice" a few more times.  I'm sure that my husband would not complain, he mostly enjoys being the guinea pig.


  • 1 refrigerator, prepared pie crust  or 1 recipe for a 9" pie crust
  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1/4 c. cornstarch
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 c. Splenda granulated
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 2 c. milk (2%)
  • 1 t. vanilla








 I know that we have discussed pie crusts before.  And I love to make my own pie crust, it really isn't that hard.  But there is nothing wrong with using a refrigerator, roll-out pie crust from time to time to speed things up a little.  Even when using a prepared crust, you can take just a couple of minutes and fancy it up a bit by fluting the edges.  Fold under the edge so that the pie crust is a little thicker along the edge.  Just press your thumb between your thumb and forefinger of the other hand.  Work your way around the entire pie and ...  voila!
 Prick the bottom of the pie crust with a fork to allow the steam to escape and bake according to the package directions, or according to your pie crust recipe.  Set the cooked pie shell on a cooling rack while you prepare the cream filling.
 Separate eggs.  Save the whites if you would like to make a meringue for the top of your pie, or if you would like an egg white omelette for breakfast tomorrow.
Beat egg yolks and add to a heavy-bottomed saucepan along with Splenda.  I decided that it was most helpful to mix these with a whisk.
 Add the cornstarch, cocoa and salt, then whisk together.  Begin to heat over medium-high heat.
 While stirring, gradually add milk.  Continue to stir constantly, cooking until thick, beating it smooth.  The recipe said that this might take from 10-15 minutes.  It didn't take that long, and it thickened rapidly, so don't walk away!  Don't quit stirring!
As soon as it thickens, remove from heat and pour into the pie shell.
Put in the fridge to chill.  One of things that I remember from my mom, making cooked puddings, etc., was that she was always trying to prevent a "skin" from forming.  So I used some plastic wrap and gently pressed it on the top of the filling before I set it in the fridge.  It will take an hour or so for the pie to chill.  Then just gently pull the plastic off.

You can serve this with whipped cream, either homemade or store bought or as previously mentioned, you can make a meringue from your egg whites and top the pie.

I think this is a great easy recipe and my husband didn't even know it was one of my  Sugar Free  recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment