Sunday, June 8, 2014

Strawberry Shortcake

I can't believe that it's June!  Looking back I haven't posted since the middle of April. One thing my husband has always said, "Don't bother her in August or in May". So the end of the school year was pretty hectic. Not so hectic that I haven't been baking, but hectic enough that I haven't had time to post. So I will try to make several posts in the next couple of weeks (now that I am on vacation) and get you caught up on what I have been doing.

May is traditionally strawberry month here in Arkansas. Over the last couple of years we have been getting wonderful strawberries year round from California. I do love this but I still think about eating strawberries more during the month of May. This May was no different and I was able to get some nice, small, sweet strawberries at the Farmer's Market. I was very busy so I also took some help from the grocery store for some yummy strawberry shortcake.

This was a no bake way to have a tasty spring or summer dessert. First I de-stemmed and sliced up a quart of fresh strawberries.
These berries were pretty sweet so I only added about a 1/3 cup of Splenda. You can always adjust this amount depending upon the sweetness of your berries.  Let this sit for a little while-30-45 minutes-to allow the berries to get a little juicy. Stir occasionally.
Here's my shortcut secret. This isn't technically shortcake but it is a great substitute when you are short on time.  You can pick up a Sugar-free angel food cake in the bakery section of your local supermarket.
Slice the cake and add one to each bowl. Spoon strawberries over the cake. Don't forget to get some of that great juice to soak into the cake.
Add a couple of squirts of some light whipped cream and you are set!!  Fast, easy and delicious!


If you have a little more time and want a true Oklahoma/Arkansas shortcake, you can mix up a batch of your favorite biscuit dough. I add just about a 1/4 cup of Splenda to make it slightly sweet. Just before you put them in the oven, sprinkle just a tad more on top of each biscuit and it will be pretty and sparkly.

Split the warm biscuit, add some strawberries-and juice-then top with the other half of the biscuit, some more strawberries and finally the whipped cream!  Both versions are amazing; it just depends on how much time you have.

A special note: One Saturday I got some strawberry pecan goat cheese at the Farmer's Market. Talk about decadence!!  I made the biscuit version of this dessert and added a spread of this amazing goat cheese to the inside of the warm biscuit before labeling on the strawberries. Well, I'm not sure I can even describe this dessert to you. Maybe you had better give it a try!!

No comments:

Post a Comment