Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Chocolate Banana Pineapple Pie

One of my friends is from Hawai'i and shared this recipe with me from cookinghawaiianstyle.com   I love tropical flavors and so I have been waiting for the time when I could make this pie.  The combination of bananas and chocolate and pineapple...  Mmmmmm!!!


The first thing you can say about this pie is that it is ... beautiful!!  It is considered a  Low Sugar  dessert since I have yet to find any sugar free graham crackers and there is a small amount of brown sugar Blend in the crust.  So here's what you do...














  •  1 c. graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/6 c. Splenda brown sugar blend
  • 1/4 c. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, melted
  • 1 c. sugar-free chocolate syrup
  • 2 medium to large bananas, firm
  • 8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
  • 2 pkg. sugar free vanilla pudding
  • 3 c. 2% milk
  • 12 oz. crushed pineapple, drained
  • 8 oz. sugar free Cool Whip


 Mix first 3 ingredients for crust and press into the bottom of a pie plate.  Bake at 325 degrees for 6-8 minutes to set.
Now you can probably tell from my picture that I decided to use an already prepared graham cracker crust.  I just happened to have a reduced-fat crust in my pantry and decided to use it.  While it tasted fine, when I make this pie again, I will make my own crust, simply because the pre-made crust was not large enough and it did not hold the entire filling.  As a matter of fact, it didn't even hold half.  What I may try is doing a one and half times the recipe for the crust and make this in a 9x9 pan, so that it is deep enough to hold the entire filling.
Next, pour the chocolate syrup and spread over the entire crust.  I took a second before measuring the syrup and sprayed my measuring cup with a little cooking spray, so that the syrup came out easily.
 Slice your bananas.  Make sure that they are not too thick or too thin.  Layer them all over your chocolate syrup.

Whip together cream cheese & pudding mix and then slowly add milk.  I felt like this mixture didn't quite smooth out.  Tastes wonderful, but the cream cheese didn't seem to fully mix in.  Next time, I will mix the pudding mixture with the milk in a separate bowl and allow it to start thickening.  Then after whipping the cream cheese to lighten it a bit, slowly add in the pudding.  I believe this will allow for a smoother filling.
Pour filling over the banana layer.
Drain pineapple.  This is an extremely important step.  If you have some kind of strainer, I might open the pineapple before you begin the rest of the pie and let it set over a bowl and drain until you are ready for it.  Don't throw that pineapple juice away!!!  It mixes in to make a great smoothie!
Sprinkle the pieces of crushed pineapple over the top of your filling.
At this point, I allowed the pie to set up just a bit in the fridge; 30-45 minutes.



 Finally, top your pie with with the Cool Whip and drizzle with some additional chocolate syrup.

















Allow the pie to firm up just a little longer in the fridge.  Serve and enjoy.....

Thanks Jennie W!!!!  Can't wait to try this with some fresh Hawai'ian pineapple!

No comments:

Post a Comment