Thursday, January 9, 2014

Citrus Cranberry Bread

For me, right after pumpkin, cranberry is the other most important holiday flavor.  I have kind of gotten in to using dried cranberries this last year, and although growing up I never liked cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving, this year I made some fresh cranberry relish and really enjoyed it.  So I bought some more cranberries after Thanksgiving and was looking for ways to use them.

I saw someone making lemon cranberry bread on tv and of course I could not remember who.  I started searching for a recipe and found one on the Food TV site for Betsy's Lemon-Cranberry Bread.  I used this recipe as a base for my changes. (I just went back to share the link with you and the recipe doesn't seem to be there.) I used fresh cranberries and along with the lemon, this was a very tart bread.  It was delicious, but if you prefer something a little sweeter, you may want to substitute orange in this recipe.  I made it a second time and did just that.  The other thing that I did the second time was to cook the fresh cranberries for a few minutes.  It did change the complexity of this recipe.  Both were wonderful, just different.  This bread does have a glaze and because it was the holidays, I did use regular powdered sugar.  Therefore, this is a   Low Sugar  recipe.  If you would like to make it a  No Sugar Added  recipe, simply make the glaze from a powdered sugar substitute.


  •  2/3 c. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 c. Splenda
  • 1/2 c. no-fat, plain yogurt
  • 4 T. lemon or orange juice
  • 2 T. lemon or orange zest
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 c. flour
  • 3 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 c. low-fat milk, 1% or 2%
  • 2 c. cranberries, dried or fresh*
  • 1 c. pecans or walnuts, chopped  (optional)
Glaze

  • 3 large spoonfuls powdered sugar
  • fresh citrus juice


 Cream butter, Splenda, juice and zest.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one.
In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Then add the dry ingredients alternately to batter with milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
 Stir in cranberries and nuts.  Spray 2 loaf pans.  I was making some gifts for the holidays and had some mini loaf pans.  This recipe will make between 4 and 6, depending upon the size of your pans.
Bake at 335 degrees for 1 hour for the regular loaves or 40 minutes for mini loaves.
 Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan to a wire rack.  Use a skewer, or other sharp object and poke 12 or so holes into the loaf.  Cool the bread completely.
 Whisk together the glaze by adding the juice to the powdered sugar just a little at a time, until you have a thin, pour-able consistency.

For powdered sugar substitute:  Mix 1 c. non-fat dry milk, I c. cornstarch, and 2/3 c. Splenda
 Spoon glaze over the bread allowing it to soak into the holes.  You may want to put some wax paper under your wire rack, just to make clean up a little easier.
 This bread has a refreshing taste and with the red color of the cranberries, it certainly is festive for the holidays,  But I think it would be good any time of year.
*The second time I made this bread, I decided to cut down on the tartness of the cranberries.  I put them in a small skillet with about 1/3 c. Splenda and a T. of lemon juice.  I cooked these down for about 10-15 minutes on a medium-low heat.  The cranberries will burst open and the sugar will dissolve.  Allow the cranberries to cool before adding to the batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment