Sunday, November 10, 2013

Strawberry Daiquiri Cupcakes

A couple of years ago, when cupcake bakeries were opening on every corner, I became frustrated because none of them were serving sugar-free versions.  It seems like many are serving gluten-free, but of course we know that that is not my issue.

As I started experimenting with some different flavors, I wanted mine to be as exciting as some of the luscious flavors at those bakeries.  And so I started brainstorming and my mind started thinking of drink flavors.  I have made margarita, pina colada, root beer float and strawberry daiquiri.  I have done each of them in a couple of different ways...just looking for the perfect combination.

Last week when it was my turn to take snacks to one of my quilt guild meetings, I decided on strawberry daiquiri.  Here's what I did to get some great  No Sugar Added  cupcakes.


  • 1 sugar-free yellow cake mix
  • 1 box sugar-free strawberry gelatin
  • 1 cup no-sugar-added strawberry daiquiri mix (the brand that I found was Master of Mixes)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
  • 1/2 can of sugar-free vanilla frosting
  • 6 oz. of sugar-free whipped topping
  • fresh strawberries 





Start by adding the cake mix and the gelatin powder to a large mixing bowl and whisk together.  This is a great trick for any flavor that you would like to make, whether it is cupcakes or just a cake.  Since the sugar-free cake mixes only come in yellow and chocolate, add a box of sugar-free gelatin in any flavor to change the flavor of your cake.

Mix in the eggs and oil as directed, but substitute the strawberry daiquiri mix in the place of the water and add in the yogurt to keep your cupcakes nice and moist.  Mix well with a whisk.  You can use an electric mixer if you would like to.


 Add your cupcake liners to your muffin tin.  If you would like to get a full 2 dozen cupcakes, then follow the directions and fill your liner papers about 2/3 full.  I really like to try and get the bakery look of large cupcakes, so I fill mine almost full.  You won't get quite as many this way, but I did get 17.

Bake according to the package directions:  325 degrees for 20 minutes.  Once they have come out of the oven, remove from the pan and cool on a rack until completely cooled.
So, this is where I started to have a little fun.  In order to get that light whipped cream look, I only used a half can of icing and I used the electric mixer to mix in about 3/4 a container of sugar-free Cool Whip.
I used a pastry bag to ice the cupcakes. While the cupcakes were cooling, I rinsed the strawberries and let them drain on a paper towel.  I used a small pairing knife and made slits in the strawberries and added one to the top of each cupcake.  For the final fun touch, I cut some straws into short 3 or 4 inch pieces and stuck them in the top to resemble a drink.
They were a big hit and they tasted really good too!  Use your imagination and see if you can come up with some other fun "drink" cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment