Monday, September 16, 2013

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes

So, a couple of years ago, I joined the cupcake bandwagon.  Around my area, 2 or 3 new cupcake bakeries opened up and I was frustrated because they were really sweet and I knew that I shouldn't be eating that much sugar.  When I really started to look, this is when I found the Pillsbury sugar-free cake mixes.  I felt like now I could make any cupcakes.  I wanted to make cupcakes with all of the fancy flavors like you could find at the specialty bakeries.  So I talked to a few people about making cakes with mixes and I got a few ideas from some different friends.  I sat down and started to brainstorm about different flavors that I could make and just how to do that.

Enhancing a boxed cake mix is pretty simple.  Several people I spoke to used milk for the liquid instead of the water called for on the box.  Others I spoke to added mayonnaise to a boxed cake mix for additional moisture.  (If you are not familiar with that concept, mayonnaise cakes are quite common in the south.)  I knew that I didn't want to add mayonnaise; one, because I don't care for mayonnaise in much of anything, even though I know you can't taste it mixed into the cake; and two, because I didn't want to add that high number of calories to my recipe.  I ended up thinking of adding plain, non-fat yogurt.  Once I realized that I could use any liquid in place of the water, my imagination started running wild.  I promise I will share all of my varieties with you over time.

The cupcakes we are making today came about for my daughter's 21st birthday.  Cherry is her favorite flavor and well...what girl doesn't love chocolate!  Even though she is away at school, I'm sure a few of these will make their way into the freezer to await her next trip home.  This is a  No Sugar Added  recipe; there are some natural sugars in the cherries and in the milk and yogurt.

Let's get started:

  • 1 box Pillsbury sugar-free Devil's Food cake mix
  • 1 1/4 c. milk (I use 2%, just because that is what I keep in my fridge)
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 c. plain non-fat yogurt
  • 2 dz. cupcake liners
  • 1 can of no sugar added cherry pie filling
  • 1 can Pillsbury sugar-free Chocolate Fudge frosting
  • 1 pkg. (2 quart size) sugar-free cherry drink mix
First, mix up the cake mix, basically following the directions on the package.  Substitute the milk for the water and add in the yogurt.  You can mix it with the mixer, but I don't ever take the time to get it out.  I just use a big whisk and it is mixed before you know it.

Line your muffin tins with cupcake liners.  Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full.  I know the package always says to fill them 2/3, but I really like my cupcakes to rise to the top of the liners, so I fill them up just a little more.  You might not get a full 2 dozen, but 22...24...is there really much of a difference?

Bake the cupcakes according to package directions.  I baked mine at 325 F. for 22 minutes.  Check them with your favorite method, as you don't want these cupcakes to be gooey in the middle.  Cool a few minutes and then remove from the pans and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.

In the meantime, you can prepare your frosting.  At first I was a little bummed that I only had two flavors of sugar-free frostings to choose from.  Then one day while I stared in my pantry looking for something, I saw a variety of sugar-free drink mixes and the light bulb went off.  I could add any flavor of drink mix to the vanilla or chocolate frosting and come up with an endless variety of frostings.  I don't think there are enough days in the year for me to try all of the possible combinations.  In a small mixing bowl, empty out the frosting and one packet of cherry drink mix.  You can use the mixer to mix the flavor into the frosting, or a simple spatula and a strong hand will mix it together just fine. If it has been a while since you used powdered drink mixes, don't forget...they WILL stain your hands.  Set aside.

Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, cut a section out of the top to add the yummy cherry filling.  There are tools that you can buy to cut out a section of the cupcake and some of you may have one.  I don't, but I do have an old biscuit/donut cutter that I helped myself to from my mom's kitchen when I moved out.  The center is removable so that you can cut out biscuits.  It is the perfect size.  I just use that center piece and punch it down through the center of the cupcake.  Works like a charm!  You can save the cake centers for something else, or maybe just for nibbling.

Next, using a spoon, fill up those centers with cherry pie filling.  You don't want to overfill it, but make sure that you get at least a couple of cherries in there and fill it up even with the top of the cupcake.  Don't you know that when you bite into that cupcake, it is going to be just like biting into a chocolate covered cherry and tasting that oozing center...mmmm....I can taste it already!  But not yet....

We have to frost the cupcakes.  You can just use a knife or a spatula; or if you want something a little fancier, you can use a piping bag filled with the cherry chocolate frosting.  I like to use the bags.  They have them at my local grocery store and I have picked up some various decorating tips throughout the years.  You can even use a zip bag and just snip a little corner to squeeze the frosting through; just be sure it is zipped tight.  Somehow just this extra touch makes me feel like I am eating a cupcake from one of those great bakeries.

I had better put a few of these in the freezer for my daughter before my husband gets home from work! 

1 comment: